Friday, February 17, 2012

Recipe: Fettuccine with Creamy Red Pepper Sauce

Many of those who frequently read our blog know that we have been using Pinterest frequently and getting great ideas for recipes!  A recipe I recently made had many people pin it because it sounds and looks delicious!  This was from Cooking Channel's Ellie Krieger who often makes lighter versions of dishes, which I thought was great because I wanted some pasta.  This was very easy (which is often a requirement for me) and ended up being fantastic!

Ingredients:
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
1 (16 oz.) jar of roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock
1 cup crumbled feta cheese, or a 6 oz. block
1 pound whole wheat fettuccine
salt and pepper
2 tbsp. chopped parsley

All of these ingredients are very easy to find and serves 4.

I always first get my pasta water boiling when I make pasta to get that going.  As that was heating up, you next heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the onion and garlic and  saute until soft, about 10 minutes or so.  Add the roasted peppers and saute until heated through.

Remove from the heat and let it cool slightly.

Next, place the mixture in a food processor with the stock and all but 2 tbsp. of feta cheese.  Process until smooth and combined, about 30 seconds.  Cook pasta and drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.  Toss the pasta with sauce, adding one tablespoon of pasta water if needed.  I didn't end up needing any of the pasta water.  The sauce should cling nicely to the pasta. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parsley and feta.

I didn't have parsley but did have sage so I topped with sage and it was a nice seasoning.

This recipe turned out really great!  There was a lot of extra sauce since I made it for two people, but I liked the flavor of the garlic with the roasted red peppers and Ross really enjoyed this meal also, he said he wouldn't have changed a thing!  I thought it would be good to add a protein, such as chicken, or even other veggies, but we were pleased with it the way it was.  Thanks again to Pinterest and Cooking Channel.com!

~Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment