Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Recipe: Spicy Crockpot Meatballs

This is one of the first recipes I ever made in a crockpot.  I remember it was while I was in Grad School and living in Oakley with Ross.  We decided to have people over one night for a "game night" and I wanted to make something that was a bit more substantial that I could prepare ahead of time.  I searched online and found this recipe for Crockpot Meatballs.  They were a hit!  My cousin Jenny was over along with my brother, sister-in-law and some friends, and they all loved them.  Jenny even took some home in a mug for the car ride :)

I got the recipe here and have used it many times since then and it has always been a favorite of family and friends.  I made them for the Superbowl Party and once again, everyone seemed pleased with them!

Ingredients:
3 to 4 dozen small meatballs, such as 2 packages Aidell's Chicken & Turkey Chipotle Meatballs (I just use the Kroger brand frozen Swedish or Homestyle Meatballs)
1 jar of apple jelly
1 1/2 cups of BBQ sauce (really any flavor you would like works)
2 poblano chile peppers, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
dash garlic powder
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. chipotle chile powder
1/2 tsp. ancho chile powder

These are extremely simple.  All you do is put the meatballs in, add the ingredients and cook on low for 4-6 hours.  That's it!  How easy is that?  AND they are really delicious!


You don't have to use these recipes exact either.  I sometimes use jalapeno peppers if I have them on hand or any other seasoning you would like to add.  I put crushed red pepper, Southwest Chipotle seasoning, and a little more than a dash of garlic powder.

Enjoy!
~Kate

1 comment: