Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Recipe: Fish Tacos

Recently, I have been craving really good fish tacos, so this week I finally decided to make them. I looked up a few recipes online and combined several of them that I thought sounded best - keeping the ingredients that sounded good and eliminating a few others. The experiment was a complete success! They were deeeeelicious and definitely worth trying!

Ingredients:

MARINADE:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp honey
Juice from 1 lime
Green hot sauce, a few dashes  (like at Chipotle)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
Salt and pepper
2-3 tilapia filets, cubed (or halibut also works well)

DRESSING:
3/4 cup sour cream
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
Juice from 1/2 of a lime
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
Salt and pepper
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

TOPPINGS:
Mango, diced
Shredded red cabbage
Cilantro, chopped
Corn tortillas (2-3 per person)

Start by whisking together all the ingredients for the marinade and refrigerate for at least a few hours if time allows. I marinated mine for about 8 hours while I was at work, so it was nice and flavorful.
Next, combine all the ingredients for the dressing. I'd recommend doing this before cooking the fish, since it cooks so quickly. Once it's prepared, taste the dressing and adjust the seasoning as needed. You may want more or less chili powder, cumin, etc. to your taste preference.
Now you can start cooking the fish. Place the chunks of tilapia in a skillet over medium heat for several minutes until the fish is flaky, making sure to stir occasionally. While the fish is cooking, I baked a few corn tortillas in the toaster oven for about 2-3 minutes, chopped the mangos and prepared a "taco bar" for my toppings and dressing.



All that's left to do is assemble! Place the cooked pieces of tilapia in the corn torillas, drizzle with the dressing and toppings of your choice. I like a lot of cilantro on mine, and I also squeeze a little lime over the assembled tacos. So simple, fresh and delicious! I hope you enjoy!



~Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment