Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Review: Silverglades Deli at Findlay Market

Findlay Market was sounded like the perfect place to go on a sunny Saturday afternoon about two weeks ago. Ross had never been before, and we thought this was a great day to check it out.  It was cold enough outside to wear a light jacket but warm enough that it wasn't unbearable to walk around the shops.  I'm not going to go into a huge description of Findlay Market, I recommend checking out their website for more details and information.  I will say that it's a nice place to go and grab lunch, visit a couple specialty items, or to just walk around.  Don't anybody lash out at me, but I think it is a BIT over-rated.  Maybe the people I have talked to before have just talked it up more and led me to have higher expectations, but having gone at least 5 times, I'd say that it's: fine.  There are a variety of great meats, cheeses, bakery items, seafood, and wine, but unless I go with something in mind to get, nothing has ever stood out to me.  I have also gotten mixed produce down there.  I do like supporting the farmer's markets, but I have had good and bad produce here also.

Now, since we went around lunch time, Ross and I decided to grab a bite to eat.  I wanted to try the restaurant Pho Lang Thang because I've heard great things about it, but we were in the mood for a sandwich. We stopped over at Silverglades Deli that is located near the outdoor vendors and Pho Lang Thang.  There is a downtown location of this restaurant at 8th and Sycamore and this location at Findlay Market.  I have been here once before and got a really great sandwich, so we decided to give it another try.

Walking into Silverglades, you are immediately faced with huge cases of meats and cheeses.  I had to stand on my tip toes to see over them actually!  On a board above lists some specialty sandwiches, but it is noted that you can really order any kind of sandwich you would like.  We grabbed a number while we decided what to order.  Everything sounded really great to me.  There is chicken salad sandwiches, roast beef, turkey, ham, Italian sandwiches, and more.  After debating and perusing, I finally talked Ross into each of us ordering a sandwich and sharing so we could each try two sandwiches.  I opted for the Cincy Gobbler: Home Roasted Turkey, Cranberry Relish, Smoked Applewood Cheddar, and lettuce on white bread.  Ross ordered the Derby Deli: Home Roasted Beef Top Round, Horseradish Cheddar, Lettuce, Onion, and Steak Sauce on marble rye.

The girl took our order and quickly got to work making our sandwich to order.  As she was busy working on our lunch, I went to the other side of the deli to look at some of their olives, salads, and such.  I have had their chicken salad before, which is great!  I ended up ordering some to go as well as a side of pasta salad for us to share.

After just a few minutes of waiting, we paid for our sandwiches and took them to go.  We ended up grabbing a table right inside the deli because all the tables outside were taken.  Upon opening our styrofoam boxes, one of my first impressions was the size of these sandwiches: very big!  The ingredients all looked fresh and colorful.  I jumped right into the Cincy Gobbler.  The cranberry relish was added a great sweetness to the turkey and the smoked cheddar really stood out to me as well.  I thought the sandwich as a whole was just a bit dry, it could have used more relish--but overall pretty good.

The Derby Deli was also a large sandwich.  The biggest thing that surprised me about this sandwich was the steak sauce.  The horseradish cheddar went nicely with the roast beef, but I think I would have liked a bit more horseradish.  I didn't love the steak sauce on this sandwich, it was a bit too tangy for me.  The ingredients were all fantastic quality though.  Both sandwiches were served with a crisp pickle, which I liked also!

The side pasta salad was nothing to write home about.  It was pretty standard olive oil, pasta, and just a few carrots and spinach.  I wouldn't get this again, but there were many other salads I would like to try.

I'd definitely go back to Silverglades, but I would probably order some other things.  One other blogger review used the word "solid" to describe Silverglades, and I would say that is a pretty good description.  I had the chicken salad that week for lunch and it was great.  I would maybe order my sandwich more to my liking and see if they are better.   There were many other options inside the Findlay Market area also that I want to try, so we will most likely be back soon!
~Kate

Food: 2.5
Service: 3.5
Overall Experience: 3

Silverglade's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment