Monday, May 23, 2011

Review: Bangkok Bistro

There are multiple options of Thai food in the Oakley/Hyde Park area, but Bangkok Bistro is one of my favorites.  Their sushi is not typically my favorite, but I love many of their other dishes.  On one of the many nights of rain that we have had, I met my sister there for dinner.  They have a nice patio -if it is ever nice enough to sit outside.  It wasn't very crowded for a Friday night, but it was still kind of early when we went.  Bangkok Bistro is broken up into three rooms and there is almost always a table available.  The decor is very simple and welcoming enough. 

Our server promptly greeted us and got us started with a drink.  I had originally ordered the house cabernet, and my server honestly replied that it really isn't very good.  I appreciated his bluntness and chose a Malbec instead.

Like I have said in the past, I really enjoy going to restaurants and sharing various dishes to try more than one thing.  My husband hates doing this, but luckily my sister is the same way.  We were a bit over zealous with our ordering.  We decided to share an order of edamame, Crab Rangoon, Golden Bags, and both our favorite's dish Tom Yum Pasta. 

The edamame arrived first.  This was pretty typical edamame: warm and salty. Those who may not be familiar, edamame is just a Japanese soy bean and a great appetizer. 


Next, we got the orders of Crab Rangoon and Golden Bags.  Bangkok Bistro was at the Taste of Cincinnatilast year and served these Golden Bags there.  In fact, they won best appetizer at the Taste last year.  They are delicious.  I can't quite remember what all is in these, but they are fried with various veggies and sausage maybe inside and look like little bags. They are served with a sweet and sour sauce.  These are nice and crispy and there is plenty of filling. 

I had never had Crab Rangoon before, but I have only heard great things about it.  I loved these!  They are wrapped in a light wonton wrapper and filled with a mix of cream cheese and crab meat.  Delicious!  They were served with a side of a sweet and sour type sauce as well.  I liked these even better than the Golden Bags but they were both really good.  Our meal was off to a great start! 

Needless to say, Kelley and I were getting pretty full as you can imagine, but we still had our main dish.  The server asked us how spicy we wanted the dish on a scale of 1-10; I can't remember for sure, but I believe we said 6 or 7, we both like spicy food.  The Tom Yum Pasta is angel hair pasta stir fried with chicken, shrimp, veggies with a spicy sauce.  I have had this more than once and every time it is amazing.  The perfect mix of veggies with a light pasta and a spicy sauce.  This is a good sized dish and is plenty to share, especially when you have appetizers like we did!  We each had some to take home afterward as well. 

Keep Bangkok Bistro in mind any time you are in the Hyde Park area.  With all the Thai places to choose from, it is consistently one of my favorites: the prices are reasonable, service is great, and the food is always a winner.  Our appetizers were $4-$7 and the Tom Yum Pasta is $14.95 and enough for two people. 
~Kate

Food: 4.5
Service: 4
Overall Experience: 4.5

Bangkok Bistro on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. " I can't quite remember what all is in these...." Really? A food blog and you cant remember. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete