Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Recipe: Burrito Bowl Minus the Rice

Okay, I have to first apologize for the name of this recipe because I really didn't know what to call it.  I was inspired by Chipotle's burrito bowls, but didn't use rice, so thought the name was the best description I could come up with!  My husband is pretty obsessed with Chipotle--he always gets the burritos though, and I don't care for those as much, so I thought I'd throw together something like the burrito bowls.

These ingredients can be altered or added to according to your liking, but I'll share what I used.  I'm not going to put measurements because that is really up to you as well:

Ingredients:
Romaine lettuce
black beans, rinsed and drained
corn (frozen, canned, or fresh)
red pepper
red onion
red wine vinegar
hot salsa
mild salsa
sour cream
chicken (I bought some pre-cooked chicken that was cilantro-lime seasoned from Trader Joe's)
mozzarella cheese

1. First I made a little corn salsa real quick of my own.  I mixed some frozen corn that I had thawed and rinsed with about half a red pepper, and about 1/4th of a red onion with some cumin, salt, and red wine vinegar.  I let that set and chill while I got the rest of the ingredients together.

2.  I chopped the Romaine thin, rinsed the black beans, and heated up some chicken in the microwave.  This chicken was great to use.  It is pre-packaged from Trader Joe's and you choose as much as you need and heat up for about a minute then slice it up.  There are a variety of flavors as well.

3. Last, just mix everything together! I layered my black beans, then corn salsa, chicken lettuce and I added a bit of hot salsa and mild salsa.  (I also got the hot salsa from Trader Joe's which was great, and the mild salsa from Kroger).  I topped it off with some cheese and sour cream, mixed it up and enjoyed!

I thought this was great!  I had plenty of left-over ingredients to make the salad again for lunch later that week.  You could add cilantro, rice, turkey, a different cheese, or any other ingredients you might have in your pantry.  You could serve it with tortilla chips if you want some crunch or even crumble some up and throw it in the bowl.  This is a great meal that is fast and easy! Enjoy!
~Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment