Monday, November 7, 2011

Review: Japp's

I really enjoy going down to Over-the-Rhine and trying out some of the new bars and restaurants that are popping up around the area.  One place that I went to over the summer and recently wanted to try again is Japp's.  This is a lounge on Main St. in the OTR area that has a great selection of specialty drinks, coffee, and bottled craft beers.

The inside of Japp's is really unique looking.  The focal point is an old wooden bar with big, comfy bar stools, and a wall of tables. You could go with a small group, a couple friends, or even by yourself.  It gives me a 1920s, swanky feel with soft music in the background to add to the ambiance.

Japp's was opened by Molly Wellmann who is a master of mixology.  The two times I have been there she has made the most fabulous mixed drinks.  She makes the syrups , fresh made juices, and other fresh ingredients daily.  She was voted best mixologist in Cincinnati in 2010 and her personality is truly warm and inviting.  As soon as we walked in the door, she greeted us with a bright smile and hello.  We recently went on a Thursday night with our friends Anne and Ryan.  It wasn't terribly busy, but the bar seats were almost full and another table was occupied by a group of guys.  The clientele is very diverse at Japp's.  Anne noted that this is a place she could bring friends or her parents and everyone would be comfortable.

I wasn't sure what I was in the mood for, but I knew that if I just told Molly some things I like and don't like she would concoct something delicious.  I told her that I don't really care for lemon, and I pretty much like any liquor.  She was very enthusiastic and said she "knew just what to make me."  The drink came in a cute little glass and appeared small, but it was plenty.  I hope I get this right, but I believe she told me this was a mix of fresh squeezed orange juice, gin, cherry liqueur, absinthe, and orange rind.  Needless to say, this was strong but very good!  It was really unique with a nice hint of citrus.  I believe my drink was $5 or $6.

Anne and Ross went for a special drink Molly had made that day.  It was warm apple cider with bourbon and a fresh made butter pecan syrup.  I tried this and thought it was delicious!  I would go back to have this again on a chilly Fall night.  It was $7 a glass.

Ryan went with a craft beer that he said was good.

If you haven't made it down to Japp's, you definitely go give it a try.  It's a great place to go for a drink before or after dinner, and there are plenty of places to park nearby.  Check out the website and information on Molly to get more details!
~Kate

Drinks: 5
Service: 4.5 (It can take a bit of time for a drink, due to them being specially made, so if you don't want to wait a couple minutes for a drink, you may not like that; it's worth the wait though!)
Overall Experience: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment