Thursday, November 3, 2011

Recipe: Pepper Jack & Bacon Grilled Cheese

This is a recipe that my husband will request from time to time.  I used to make it more often, but hadn't in awhile, so when Ross asked to have it for dinner on a recent night, I thought it was a great idea!

This is a very simple twist on the traditional grilled cheese:

Ingredients:  Serving 2
Bread (pick your favorite, I used wheat this date because I had it on hand, but anything would work)
4 slices of pepper jack cheese
4-6 slices of bacon
1 avocado
1 tomato
1tbsp. mayonnaise
1 tsp. honey
butter

Directions:
First, if you are using real bacon, you would want to cook your bacon.  I just picked up some pre-made turkey bacon, so I just had to pop it in the microwave for a couple seconds.
Slice your tomato into however many slices you would like.  I typically use about 3-4 small slices of tomato per sandwich (I used Roma tomatoes).  Slice your avocado.  Next, mix together the honey and mayo.  Now, it's time to assemble your sandwich!

I butter each side of bread.  Then I spread a bit of the honey/mayo mixture on the other side.  Top with one slice of cheese, two tomatoes, bacon then avocado; then add rest of tomato and other slice of cheese.  Spread a little more of honey/mayo on other piece of bread.  Last, you can grill this in a pan on your stove top like a traditional grilled cheese, use a grill pan and grill it on a grill pan, or use a panini maker if you have one.  I have a panini maker so I used that this time because it's pretty easy.

These turned out pretty great! It's such a great mixture of flavors. I love the sweetness of the honey, the sharpness from the cheese, and the smokiness of the bacon.  Ross didn't like the turkey bacon, yes, I know it's not as good, but it was fast and better for you.  I thought it was fine!  So if you want a change to the typical grilled cheese this is a great sandwich to try!
~Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment