Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Recipe: Chicken Taco Chili

If you haven't discovered Pinterest yet, I recommend it. It's a fun website that is essentially a virtual bulletin board that allows you to create various boards in different categories based on your interests. You can then share your boards with friends. Kris pinned this recipe not too long ago and I thought it looked delicious! It is for Chicken Taco Chili and was originally on another blog, called Photo A Day, so thanks to her for sharing!   This recipe was very easy and was great on a cold, windy day.  I made it on my day off, so I was able to put it together during the day and just eat it when we were hungry.

Ingredients: (Serves about 10)
1 onion, chopped
1 16 oz. can black beans
1 16 oz. can kidney beans
1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
10 oz. package of frozen corn
2 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes with chiles
1 packet taco seasoning
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
24 oz. (3) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
chili peppers, chopped (optional)
chopped fresh cilantro

First, combine the beans, onion, corn, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, cumin and chili powder in a slow cooker.

Place the chicken on top of ingredients.

Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.  About a half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred.  Return chicken to the slow cooker.

Last thing you do is serve and enjoy!  I topped mine with low fat sour cream and a bit of skim mozzarella cheese.

This turned out really great!  Ross really liked it as well.  Some things to note: I only used two chicken breasts, and it was PLENTY of chicken.  I really don't think I would have done any more than that.  I also used 1 large can of diced tomatoes and just added some chopped chili peppers myself.  I like my food spicy, so I put some crushed red pepper and hot sauce in my chili as well.

This was a great slow cooker meal.  However, I think many slow cookers are different.  I cooked mine on high for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours and it was ready.  I have burnt things in the past using a slow cooker, believe it or not, so I recommend using your judgement!  There are lots of things you could add and change to this recipe according to your liking.  Enjoy!
~Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment