Saturday, February 19, 2011

Recipe: Chicken with Mushroom Sauce

One of my New Year’s resolutions for 2011 is to try at least one new recipe each week. It has actually been a lot of fun and makes me step outside my cooking comfort zone. I’ll be sure to blog about any of the good ones along the way, so stay tuned!

For Christmas, I conveniently got a subscription to Cooking Light magazine from my aunt, which has been great for my New Year’s resolution. I absolutely love this magazine and would definitely recommend getting a subscription to this magazine to anyone who likes to cook. It’s full of great recipes that are healthy, easy to make and delicious!

When I received my Jan/Feb issue, I knew I wanted to try the Chicken with Mushroom Sauce. It turned out really well and was incredibly easy, and the best part was that I already had most of the ingredients on hand. I only had to purchase the fresh thyme.
INGREDIENTS
4 (6 oz) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 tsp canola oil
½ tsp salt, divided
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup chopped shallots
1 (8 oz) package presliced mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
2 minced garlic cloves
½ cup dry white wine
1 ½ tsp all-purpose flour
¾ cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp minced fresh thyme

1.      Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and pound to ½ inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet.
2.      Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with ¼ tsp salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Transfer chicken to serving platter; keep warm.
3.      Add shallots and mushrooms to pan; sauté for 4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, scraping pan to loosen brown bits; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid almost evaporates. Sprinkle mushroom mixture with remaining ¼ tsp salt and flour, cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Cook 2 minutes or until slightly thick. Remove pan from heat; add butter and thyme, stirring until butter melts. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings (1 serving= 1 chicken breast half and 1/3 cup of sauce).
Sorry the picture isn't great!

If you like mushrooms, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed by this recipe. And one serving is only 290 calories and 10.5g fat! Enjoy!  
~Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment