Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Sunday

There's nothing I love more than an excuse for a party with excessive amounts of food (and drinks!), and Super Bowl Sunday is no exception! I threw a small get together at my house this year, and of course, had to have a huge spread of food. My white chicken chili always gets RAVE reviews and it actually won a chili contest at my work, so I figured I couldn't go wrong with that one. Several people asked for the recipe throughout the evening, so I think it's safe to say this was a crowd pleaser yet again. It's soooo easy and can be made ahead of time, which is a huge plus in my book because I'm always running around like a chicken with my head cut off whenever I throw a party. 

White Chicken Chili ("brown" chicken chili would probably be a more fitting name but doesn't sound very appetizing)
Ingredients:
1 can diced green chiles
1/2 cup diced onions
2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1/2 tsp cumin
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts shredded or cubed (I prefer shredded)
1 can corn drained
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cup chicken broth
1 cup salsa (I use medium or hot for a little extra "kick")
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp chili powder
Cilantro
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
(See what I mean by easy? All you have to do is open a bunch of cans!)

I'll first start out by saying that I absolutely despise onions. Very unfortunate, I know, because they are in just about everything. So needless to say, I omit the onions from this recipe, but I included them here since most people like onions. To make the chili, you start by sauting the green chiles, onions and cumin in the EVOO. Once that's finished (just a few minutes), you add the next 9 ingredients (up to chili powder) and let it cook for at least 30 minutes. I add a little Frank's Red Hot and red pepper flakes to mine for a little added spice. Serve with fresh chopped cilantro and shredded cheddar cheese, and you've got a winner! How easy is that??  

Of course, Kate and her husband made an appearance at my Super Bowl party and brought an awesome homemade salsa to share. Well, I should clarify and say that I heard from the other party-goers that it was awesome. I didn't actually try it because it had lots of fresh, diced red onions (the worst kind for onion-haters!). I'll let Kate tell you about that...

I completely agree with what Kris said...her white chicken chili was awesome!  It really was one of the best ones I have ever had.  I really liked the corn and had just enough spice!  Now, I love all salsas.  I like spicy salsa, fresh salsa, fruit salsa, you name it.  I thought it might be nice for something a little fresher for a super bowl party.  I have made it in the past and have always gotten compliments.  This too is a pretty easy recipe, as long as you don't mind doing a little chopping!  I got this recipe from one of those little pocket magazines at the check-out lines in Kroger, I love those!


Creamy Black Bean Salsa

1 can of black beans rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cup of frozen corn thawed
1 cup of sweet red pepper chopped small
3/4 cup green pepper chopped small
3/4 cup red onion chopped
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayo
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

All you do is chop everything up, make sure you rinse and drain the corn and black beans, and toss it together.  Serve with any tortillia chips you want!  It's so easy and has a little kick to it.  It's also a great summer time appetizer or you could even pack a little to take for lunch!  If you want to make it a bit healthier, you could take out the mayo and sour cream and add a tablespoon of lime juice or even open up a can of diced tomatoes (I like the ones with green chiles).




3 comments:

  1. I love Kate's black bean salsa and agree that it's easy to make a definite crowd pleaser. I found a friend "grubbing" on it out of my fridge in the middle of the night.

    Kris, I can't wait to try out your chili recipe!

    Congrats, girls! Your blog is super cute and fun to read. I can't wait for future posts!

    Love, Your #1 Fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these sound great... will have to try. Loving your blog and am now hungry :)
    -Jessica Eling-

    ReplyDelete