Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Recipe: Hot Chicken Salad

One of my all-time favorite meals that my mom makes is Hot Chicken Salad. It's so simple, yet so delicious!! It's really more like a casserole than a salad, but who cares about semantics! This recipe takes very little time to make and most of the ingredients are things you already have on hand. And I love that you can make it ahead of time. It's perfect to serve to guests or bring to a potluck....however, I will warn you (and you'll see in the photo) that the presentation is not so beautiful. But what it lacks in presentation, it makes up for in taste!


Ingredients:
1/2 cup slivered almonds 
4 cups chicken, cooked and cubed 
2 cups celery, diced  
1 tbsp minced onion (I omit this due to my hatred for onions!)
1 tsp pimento (I also omit this because I don't think they're necessary and I never have them on hand)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup mayo
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 tbsp lemon juice
Salt & Pepper 

Literally, all you have to do is combine all the ingredients and pour them into a casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes. That's it! Easy as pie! You can also add a handful of crushed potato chips on top at the end of baking for an added crunch.

You can make this a little "healthier" by using low moisture, part skim cheddar cheese, light mayonaisse, and 98% fat free cream of chicken soup. Then you can eat it without all the guilt!

Enjoy!

~Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment