Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Recipe: Marinated Flank Steak

Last summer, I was browsing some internet web sites and came across this recipe and directions for a flank steak. I rarely cook steak at home because my husband just thinks it is so much better at restaurants, which I don't disagree with, but I really wanted to try grilling flank steak at home.  I found this great website that gave me step by step instructions which made me more confident with cooking it my first time. Since then, this recipe has become one of our favorite grilling recipes. 

Ingredients for the marinade:
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp. ground pepper

I mix all these ingredients in a bowl with a whisk.  Next, I take out my flank steak and score the surface of the steak against the grain about 1 inch thick. 

Then, I get a large freezer bag and place the steak inside.  I then pour the marinade in the bag and make sure the steak is fully coated.  Chill the steak and marinade.  I have always marinated it for at least 2 hours or more. 

Before lighting the grill, spray it with non-stick spray or use a paper towel coated in olive oil and grease the grill.  Heat the grill to high heat. 

After the grill is ready, place your steak on and grill for 4-6 minutes per side.  I have a gas grill, so I close the lid while cooking.  As this website had suggested, I also place the steak horizontally then turn it vertically about 3 minutes in to get those nice grill marks.  Meanwhile, pour the extra marinade in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. This can be used after it's cooked for a bit more sauce or you can use it for basting while the steak is cooking.  After it has cooked for about 10 minutes or so, put the steak on aluminum foil, close it up, and let wait about another 10 minutes or so to let it rest. 

Slice the steak about 1 inch apart and enjoy!  This is a great recipe for summer and can go with just about any sides you have on hand. 

~Kate

1 comment:

  1. flank steak is absolutely my favorite cut anymore...it's not always easy to find but meijer carries it so i grab it at least once/month!

    ReplyDelete