Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Review: Cancun Mexican Bar & Grill

My mom, sister, and I recently met up for lunch on a Friday afternoon.  My mom and I were both off work, and my lucky sister has a pretty flexible schedule, so we decided to go out for lunch!  My sister lives in Norwood, so we thought we'd try something close to her house.  My mom was craving Chipotle, but we wanted to go somewhere more "sit-down", so we decided to try Cancun Mexican Bar & Grill located on Montgomery Rd. near the Lateral. 

Walking in, we were immediately greeted by a very friendly and warm host who sat us in a booth.  The decor in this place was unlike any other Mexican restaurant, in a good way!  It was very vibrant and fun.  All the tables had unique artwork on them with a glass covering on top which I thought was really interesting.  The chairs had a similar motif to them as well.

While looking over the menu, our server promptly delivered some salsa and chips. I thought the salsa was a bit bland, I like to have a bit more spice in mine, but the chips were pretty good.  We ordered a side of queso (my sister's favorite) to go along, and this was a pretty standard queso.

The menu was a very typical Mexican restaurant menu in my opinion.  There was a lunch special for the day, but we had our hearts set on other items.  My sister always gets tacos, especially for lunch, but she did opt for the shrimp tacos to change up her typical order a bit.  She asked to get hard shells instead of soft, and they happily obliged.  She liked this just okay...there was hardly any shrimp in two of them and a lot in the third.  The first two tacos had mostly veggies, but she still liked them fine.

I also get tacos many a time when I go to Mexican restaurants, but I felt like getting one of my other favorites--a quesadilla (could have been because I had just watched Napoleon Dynamite??)  I ordered the fajita quesadilla which was stuffed with cheese, chicken, peppers, onion, mushrooms, and tomatoes.  This was served with lettuce, guacamole, sour cream and tomatoes.  I really liked this quesadilla.  It had plenty of chicken and vegetables.  I loved that the veggies were grilled and mixed together nicely with the melted cheese.  The tortilla was just crispy enough without getting soggy from all the filling.  I would definitely order this again.

My mom went with the "fajita" style nachos.  The portion was a big size, especially for lunch.  It was topped with similar items from my quesadilla: peppers, onion, chicken, cheese, tomatoes.  These were good as well.  I tried these and liked that the cheese had been melted on the nachos, it wasn't too runny.  I also liked that the chips didn't get soggy and it had a great amount of toppings.  My mom really liked this, there wasn't much left to share!

The prices at Cancun are very reasonable.  For all 3 entrees, queso, and 2 drinks, our total came to about $30 which I didn't think was too bad.  The service here was great as well.  Our server really went above and beyond to make sure we were pleased.  He was on top of our drinks, and even offered to get my sister a different meal when she didn't eat it all--she just wasn't that hungry :) 

I liked Cancun Mexican Bar & Grill; I'd like to back for dinner and see how their margaritas are, but if you're in the area, it's worth a try!
~Kate

Food: 3
Service: 4
Overall Experience: 3

1 comment: